Week 9: Overcoming Challenges

 I recently read the book Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.  I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anybody who wants to know more about how to overcome challenges.  The Message to Garcia article really reminded me of this book, as Shackleton and the men that he led and managed were the very definition of men who will "find Garcia".  They stopped at nothing, persevered against unimaginable challenges, and never, ever gave up until the job was complete, and as a result, miracles of human achievement were witnessed.  I was dumbfounded, I was thrilled, my jaw hung open at many points, and I learned so much.  Experiences like these really put into perspective what a challenge truly is.  

Somehow stories like these give me more courage and "gumption" to stick out the challenges that I'm faced with in my life.  Although the stumbling blocks in Endurance were much more dramatic, life-threatening, and adventure worthy, I sometimes feel that our modern challenges are just as difficult, in their constant small drip of monotony, self-discipline in the face of time wasting temptations, and the choice to stay positive in a world so divided, and at times so filled with pessimism and hatred.  

I enjoyed all of the study material this week, and really connected to the idea that real leadership teaches others how to lead.  "If you've built a team that is dependent on you for detailed directions, then you are the problem." This really rang true to me this week, and I hope to be that kind of leader as I step into the role of Young Women's president in our ward.  

I also loved the Lead by Example, Lead with Vision, and Lead with Love principles.  How true and necessary all three of these are!  The one I need most work on is Lead by Example, and Lead with Love.  I feel myself getting so busy, that I fail to take the time to keep building relationships with my children and husband.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: A Journey of Gratitude

Week 8: Overcoming Challenges